The Maritime Asia Heritage Survey (MAHS) is funded by Arcadia and based at the Kyoto University’s Center for Southeast Asian Studies. The project conducts field surveys of historical sites, structures, objects, and manuscripts across four countries in Maritime Southern Asia: Vietnam, Indonesia, Sri Lanka, and the Maldives. The data collected through this work is made open-access available on the project website and securely archived in order to produce and maintain records of the diverse and distinctive heritage of the region, which currently faces compound environmental and human threats to its preservation.
Surveyor – 1 position
The MAHS is now recruiting one full-time position (Surveyor) to join the project’s Field Team in the Maldives. Successful candidates will be required to travel extensively with the MAHS Maldives Field Team to across multiple atolls for up to ten months each year
- Flight plans and piloting operations for drone work, including aerial photography for photogrammetry, aerial LiDAR, and video.
- The production of documentary photos of historical sites, buildings, following standardized data collection procedures and documentation protocols.
- Assistance with the production of orthophotomaps
- Ensuring the consistency of related metadata.
- Regular transfer of digital files to the MAHS Maldives Data Wrangler for upload.
- Adhering to project standards of photo quality, and the completion of assignments according to agreed upon deadlines.
- Contributions to aspects operations including packing/unpacking, equipment cleaning and maintenance, worksite and field house health and safety, and other tasks necessary for the overall productivity of the Field Team.
- Minimum two years of professional experience flying drones.
- Previous experience working with drone LiDAR or ground-based LiDAR imaging will be preferred.
- Experience with software applications for data collection.
- Previous professional experience working in a heritage field will be preferred
- Prior experience with basic GIS is preferred
- Efficiency in time management and professional responsibility.
- Proficiency in English and the ability to work respectfully with a diverse team of women and men from around the world.
Please include the code for the position to which you are applying in the subject field of your email, and on the cover letter. The application deadline is June 30, 2022. The initial contract for this position will be for one year, and renewal for up to three years in total.